Ulster Scots: The Plantation Scheme 1610 - 1630
|Image from TheReformation.info|
The rebellion by Sir Cahir O'Dogherty on 19 April 1608 led to the sacking of Londonderry and the use of Scottish levies from Ayr to take Carrickfergus - the first use of Scottish troops by the English for conquest abroad. The troops remained and became a further source of tenants. When Derry was granted to the City of London in 1610 among the South Western Scots who were compensated were Boyd, Patterson and Wray. In January 1609 proposals were made for the plantation of Tyrone which became the plan for the division of the escheated lands in the six Counties. The Proclamation of the Plantation on 8 March 1609 by the Scottish Council opened the doors for the settlement of thousands of Scots in Ulster under the Plantation Scheme.
Applicants for land tended to come from within 25 miles of Edinburgh. They were generally persons of substance and position and the applications were by way of family ventures with mutual action as cautioners' (guarantors). It was the urban middle class and petty gentry who were most enthusiastic. In all the Scottish undertakers received some 81,000 acres.
The nine baronies set aside for the Scots were mainly around the periphery of the escheated lands. The Scottish Baronies were Boylagh, Banagh and Portlough in Donegal; Strabane and Mountjoy in Tyrone; Knockninny, Magherabov in Fermanagh; Clankee and Tullyhunco in Cavan; and, the northern half of The Fews in Armagh.