Presbyterian Church moved south to Alabama

Posted at Alabama Pioneers:

Continued – The following has been transcribed from Transactions of the Alabama Historical Society: New series, Volume 4 By Alabama Historical Society 1904

THE HISTORY OF THE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH IN ALABAMA PRIOR TO 1826

By The Rev. James H. B. Hall, Birmingham

Part III - The Tide Of Settlers Continued South

Southward the tide of settlers rolled, bearing with it additional Cumberlands. About this time Pleasant Valley, Roupe’s Valley, Jones’ Valley, and Cahaba Valley, down to old Cahaba, near the present Selma,—all Middle Alabama—began receiving thousands of citizens.

Adams Grove Presbyterian in Dallas County, Alabama built ca. 1853

The country east of Cotton Gin Port—the Alabama side of the Tombigbee—near the present town of Aberdeen, Mississippi, was, likewise, filling with pioneers.

As early as 1817, but one year after the purchase of the port from the Indians, pioneer Cumberlands from that place asked the Elk Presbytery to send them a minister. It is said that five hundred names were attached to one petition. Mr. Donnell was requested by the Presbytery to go to their assistance. For satisfactory reasons he did not comply.

The following year, 1818, the Ladies’ Missionary Board of the Elk Presbytery sent to that field and a part of the adjacent Indian territory west of the Tombigbee the Revs. Samuel King and William Moor. These good men toiled for both the whites and the Indians, and so faithfully that they reported at the ensuing meeting of their presbytery compliance with the instructions given them by the Missionary Board. Men in those years usually did what they were directed by their church councils.

Read more here...

See also:

Comments

Popular Posts: